Our sailing trip turns into a fishing trip

English French German Portuguese Spanish Swedish Welsh
01 Nov
Published by Deborah

It was almost 4 o’clock when I took over for Stephan for the remaining of the night shift.  Rigo finally was lying down and getting some sleep.  I figured around 4:30 or so we crossed the official finish line for the first leg but there was still a good 20 miles to go before we arrived at the anchorage at Turtle Bay.  I settled in at the nav station and did the usual check points.  Then I got bored.  I thumbed through the San Diego Reader and played a few games on the ipad.  This last night of the leg was more rolling and wavy than the first 2 nights and we ended up turning on the engine to try to settled things out.  We had the main up to help balance things out as well. 

Suddenly around 5:30 the boom lost the rhythm of the waves and the wind and came crashing across the traveler as if has done a million times before.  I went outside to take a look to see if the wave direction had changed or maybe the wind had shifted.  I looked up at the main and to my despair I see the main with a large rip just below the second reef.  I ran back inside.  “All hands on deck!!” I yelled as I woke Stephan and Rigo.  Being a little disoriented, Stephan and Rigo jumped to their feet to see what was going on.  Of course the sail had to come down.  Everyone strapped on something and took a position to bring down the main.  As the main came down it ripped a little more. Total bummer!  I wanted to cry even though I was not surprise that this happened.  This is the second rip since we left in July.  Heavy Metal is telling us that she wants a new main.  Unfortunately with the size of her sail, used sails are almost impossible to find so a custom one will need to be made, and that is not cheap!

So all of the sails were put away.  We had about 10 miles left until our destination.  The sun was coming up.  Rigo was wide awake but Stephan attempted to go back to sleep. I just hung out trying not to be too depressed about what happened.  Rigo decided to go fishing since the sun was coming up and he didn’t have much else to do.  About 15 minutes later both lines had a catch.  No sleep for Stephan.  I ran to wake him up.  They reeled them in and turned out to be good size Yellowtail Tuna.  Definitely not a first for us.  Our count was at 19 before this catch.  Of course we did not keep all 19.  There just wasn’t room and we knew we would not eat that much.  We kept these 2 though because they were bigger than most of the ones we caught previously.

The lines went back in the water and then bam!  Five minutes later, two more were on the line.  Holy hell!  More tuna.  These went back to the sea.  Can’t we catch anything other than tuna?  We made a call to the fleet to see if anyone was interested in some of the tuna that we were catching.  We got a little bit of interest and someone also mentioned that we could bring it to the beach BBQ on the following day.  Since we were no longer sailing we decided to fish.  We were up and still bumming about our main. Two more!  It was predictable at this point.  Rigo’s line would bite and then seconds later Stephan’s line would bite.  They was obviously a school of tuna following our boat.  Most of the tuna went back until one that came in that Stephan decided to keep.  After slicing the gills to drain the blood he grabbed the heart. I was videotaping at this point to prove the quantity of fish that we were catching.  After minor taunting from Rigo, Stephan popped he heart into his mouth in hopes to change our luck to some other kind of fish. Yuck!!! (insert video)

I’m not sure if itwas because the consumption of the heart or maybe we entered a new area but all of the sudden the Dorado started to jump on our lines.  When we caught the first one we were so stoked!  Finally something other than tuna.  I think the count was over 30 at this point.  All tuna except one Skip Jacks (which we only used as bait, that failed).  Even though the fish fought and beat the hell out of Stephan we managed to get the fish in the cooler with the 5 plus other tuna we decided to keep.  After that it was nothing but Dorado until we finally pulled in the lines.  We figured we would never get to the anchorage at this rate.  Every 15 minutes or so we were slowing down the boat to either catch and release or catch and store.  It got to the point where it was just funny.  Our final catch count was 48.  We keep about a dozen tuna and 5 Dorado.

Once we got settled in Turtle Bay we announced that we had tons of tuna to give away in hopes that we could get all of this fish off our boat.  Heavy Metal was starting to look like a scene from a death metal video.  Blood everywhere!